Sunday, May 10, 2009

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL

Honoring your Mom also brings forth the best in Dads and provides a day of simple celebration for Mom, Dad and children. It is an opportunity to show your respect and love for part of the family that has provided love, service, guidance and knitting of the family ties. Old Moms are remembered for the past years and Moms who are actually present are honored for life as it is. Future Moms are shown how family life is affected by the female members and what the future can hold for them.

As I write, my own Mom is being cared for as she taught us to care for others. My daughter is enjoying her day of fun and relaxation with her girls. My son is honoring his wife on Mom's day and preparing his sons and daughter for the future.
Two of my grandchildren are able to be with their Mom because others have given them that gift.

Today as I reflect on my own family and Mom and children, I am concerned for the future of all of our lives. I pray that these thoughts are not too heavy on a holiday, but these thoughts have been disturbingly present in my thoughts for days.

Presently, I am reading the book, "How the Scots Invented the Modern World" by Arthur Herman -- "The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World and Everything in It." Having been a Presbyterian since I was 12 years old, this has still been a huge revelation to me of the past influencing us today. I would give my right arm if Obama would read this account of history which helped form our present nation.

The founders of our present system of government were John Knox and George Buchanan in the 1500s in Scotland.

"Knox and Buchanan believed that political power was ordained by God, but that that power was vested not in kings or in nobles or even in the clergy, but in the people.
Here was a vision of politics unlike any other at the time. The people were always more powerful than the ruler they created; they were free to remove them at will."

WOW - WOW - AND WOW! What a mouthful and concept in those days. I am praying that just these few lines will urge you to find this book which is in paperback and on the book shelves right now and read ALL of it for yourselves. I cannot go into how Scotland became one of the earlest and best educated nations in the world. I cannot go into how they propelled themselves into creating our world as we know it today. I do not know if you know that most of the men killed at the Alamo fighting for freedom from Mexico were Scotch Irish descendants such as Davey Crockett and Jim Bowie and most of the others who died there.

I recently visited the Alamo on the 173rd birthday of the day Santa Ana had shot all of the Alalmo rebels at daylight. There was a reenactment and it was very chilling indeed. Praise God for another Scot, Sam Houston, who whipped Santa Ana at San Jacinto with 900 Scotsmen to his 2,000 Mexican troops.

The Alamo














Reenactment of the Battle at the Alamo















Texas Flag Flying Over the Alamo

I have travelled across America and found evidence of Scottish leadership everywhere. I am of German descent. My husband is of Scottish descent.

Please if you have a little extra time here and there to read this book, I think you will find it uplifting and supportive in your own way of life. It is something our children should understand for their futures.

I am celebrating 68 wonderful years of my life here with Larry quietly in Walton, KY, on our way to the only place I could really call home, Carp Lake, MI. It has been a great run and I praise God for 45 years of being a mom and grandmother. My kids are wonderful as I know yours are too. They can insure the future if we continue to try and give them the tools.

Our travels have certainly been "Happy Trails".

Happy Moms Day to all of you.

Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment