Wednesday, August 26, 2009

47 YEARS!

Last evening Helen and I celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary with drinks and a fine meal at Orphan Annie's restaurant here in Caldwell, ID. Helen remarked last evening, "Who would have thought we'd be here in Idaho at this time of our lives?"

It's been a 'ride' since that evening at Decatur Presbyterian Church on August 25, 1962, when Dr. Wade Huie, my homiletics professor and mentor, and my seminary roommate, Alan Johnson, sent us off on our life journey that included Saltillo, MS, in the racially torn sixties, Greenville, MS, in the day of Martin Luther King's 'Mule Train' to DC, LaGrange, GA, Savannah, GA, Pine Bluff, AR and, finally where we ended our pastorates at The Church of the Hills in Johns Creek, GA.

We decided not to try for another 47 years, but just to take it one year at a time to see if we could reach 50 years. How she has put up with me for almost 5 decades is beyond me. I guess you could call her a survivor!

No comments:

Post a Comment