Saturday, July 31, 2010

Musings Re Our Beloved Church (PCUSA)

I've been reading numerous blogs published by my Presbyterian USA colleagues, especially those posted since the recent meeting of the General Assembly. Though there are some encouraging insights about our denomination's future, most of what I read (granted they are mostly from moderates and conservatives) is not hopeful.

Take these comments from a prominent PCUSA pastor:
Either God will move to restore our unity in essentials, or there will be some sort of split. I pray for the former and dread the latter. Without a miracle, I believe the latter is inevitable.
This man is not a right-wing radical. Rather, he is a solid, faithful pastor of a significantly influential congregation, reflecting what many of my colleagues are saying privately. Though now retired for 25 months, I try to keep up with goings-on in the denomination. I am not encouraged by the liberal trends I see and hear.

Maybe I am just too old-fashioned, too steeped in orthodoxy, too saddened by the thousands upon thousands who are leaving the PCUSA EVERY year!

At the present rate of decline, the PCUSA will have zero members in 40 years!

I think I'll just go get my flyrod and wade out into waters I understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment