Saturday, February 4, 2012

What a Mess! It's Ugly...and Evil.

This entire PCUSA/EPC/ECO/PCA/FOP matter is a huge mess!  
We in PCUSA congrgations have three options: (1) stay in PCUSA and join FOP and endure a continual distraction caused by confusion over what FOP means that will weaken local witness; (2) join ECO and continue to litigate property issues against greedy presbyteries that will sap the energy and funds of local churches; (3) join union presbyteries and be neither fish nor fowl. 
Liberal PCUSA leaders must be laughing hysterically at us.  
FOP leaders could not come up with a plan that makes sense.  We may be conservative evangelicals, but we are no less torrid ‘turf protectors’ than the liberals.  I didn’t expect the FOP leaders to put themselves and their churches in danger of ‘dying to self’, but I also didn't expect this mess.  I was once one of the ‘tall steeple’ preachers and remember the timidity voiced in that group during our meetings in Dallas.  We are all hiding behind the ‘missional’ label as if that forgives our obvious over-riding self-interests. 
I grieve thinking of the lost dollars and witness caused by continual litigation…and I grieve at the greed of presbyteries that cannot simply say, graciously, “Blessings to you” as congregations leave the PCUSA.  It’s all about control, all about power.  It has little to do with gracious separation.  It has even less to do with faithful witness to the lordship of Christ.
I am retired now and should just let the whole thing go, take my pension and forget the ugliness of it all.  The entire ‘fight’ is beyond ugly.  It is evil and the devil smiles at our ineptitude and stunning lack of spiritual power.  
But just when I try to forget it all, I find myself weeping at the keyboard.

1 comment: