Saturday, February 14, 2009

Golf & Shooting Horses -- Daytona 500 Tomorrow! Helen's First Painting -- and some notes

Dear Family and Friends,

While Helen is in Idaho with Anna and the girls, I've been fixing and organizing things on and in the Laredo. But yesterday I took a break and with a new friend from Boston played in a makeup golf tournament (shot 10 over par). This morning I drove to Tucson to obtain a couple things needed for the RV (hitch lock and surge protector). This afternoon I went with friends from Idaho to a "horse shooting" contest. It's not what the name indicates, rather is a rodeo type atmosphere where riders race (one at a time against a clock) through a series of barrels to shoot as they ride at 8" balloons mounted four feet high on stakes. They each carry two .44 handguns (pistols). They shoot at five white balloons, then switch pistols to shoot at five red balloons, all the while galloping full speed. The .44's are loaded with black powder only so there is no danger of someone in the crowd being hit by a bullet. Each shot is loud! I was reminded of the old western movies where the good guys shot from their horses at the bad guys chasing them. Some of the riders today hit all 10 balloons! Incredible horsemanship and aim.

The 51st Daytona 500 is tomorrow! I'll be in front of my TV after church. Go 24!


Before Helen left for Idado, she painted her first painting. Here's a photo of same. I really like it. It's hanging now in the Laredo.


Look at the tiny RV that arrived yesterday, across the street from us:


Funny story I read yesterday...and true!
A woman bought a new motorcoach (the big kind) and once on the road pressed the 'cruise control' and walked back to the coach's kitchen to fix a sandwich. Of course the coach left the road and crashed. She sued the company that made the coach saying they did not warn her that 'cruise control' does NOT mean it drives by itself! Jury awarded her $1.5 million! Company changed their manual to indicate that even if the coach is on 'cruise control' you still have to drive it!!!

Good Neighbor day:
Early last week a couple pulled in near us and I saw they were having trouble unhitching. I offered to help and learned this was their first night to stop with the CruiseAmerica RENTAL RV and their first RV experience. I went outside this morning at 6 a.m. while still dark to enjoy my coffee to find the couple trying to hitch up in the dark and leave the RV park. They had raised the hitch foot and when she (they are in their 50's and she was doing all the work as he watched...lol) moved her truck the RV fell off the hitch! I was able to use a pneumatic jack to raise the RV to get it back on the hitch and get the travel trailer hitched up. Then, as they were leaving I noticed they had left the steps down! Their bad! That 'down' steps will hit something big time! Hope they don't give up RVing!

Organist fell before church today
The pastor, who often plays the guitar for their praise music, played the piano for the service. Gifted guy...good preacher, too.

24 didn't lose, he just didn't win
Jeff finished 12th this afternoon in a rain-soaked short version of the 500.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Larry and Helen! Good to see you are both still enjoying retirement. Hoping to see you when you pass through Georgia. As you may know, Tim is no longer with us (I don't know what happened), but they have just called Dr. Chris Price to be interim pastor. Of the guest preachers we've had, I liked him the best because he reminds me of you. All my love,
    ~Kris Lugo

    ReplyDelete