Monday, January 26, 2009

Poor Golf and Prayers

My friend and I played a golf course in Sierra Vista yesterday. More accurately, we endured 9 holes. The course was not in good shape and the wind was howling at about 20 mph, both of which made playing a 'not fun thing'. So we stopped after 9 holes.
On the way home (back to the RV resort 30 miles north of the golf course) I asked him if he was a 'person of faith'. That led to an interesting 20 minute dialogue. He is not a Christian, but a man of deep faith. His faith, however, is centered in his high moral standards which he seeks to live faithfully day by day. He sees great value in Native American religion, but not the rattling of gourds, etc. The 'higher power' he recognizes is not the God to which Christians look and in whom believers cast their eternal hope. He believes Jesus was an historical figure who lived a high moral life and urged others to do likewise, but he would not call Jesus the Son of God, for he does not believe in God's existence. His family was/is fundamental Baptist and I believe that environment led to his skepticism about the Christian faith. He heard as a youth the attacks by Christians on non-believers and that soured him about Christianity. But I heard an echo of 'hunger' in him that I trust the Holy Spirit will nurture. So I'm asking, if you have a free moment, pray for my friend Charlie.

Today Helen and I are cleaning and straightening Texas Molly II. Tonight we dine with our Canadian friends next door. Today in our devotional time, Helen read from a book of prayers from which I will soon select one and put on this blog. Til then, I'm hoping you all have a wonderful day. Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment