Thursday, October 28, 2010

Boise Rescue Mission

Helen and I helped serve the evening meal at Rescue Mission last night in Boise, ID. The Rescue Mission is located in near downtown Boise. We volunteer there several nights a month with other Covenant Presbyterian Church volunteers.

Last night we arrived a half hour early so I slipped into the back of the chapel to listen to the Bible lesson/preaching. (Helen joined me later.) Approximately twenty-five to thirty men whose ages ranged from (I'm guessing) 30 to 65 were listening attentively to the speaker, a black pastor named Pastor Mike, a 74 year old pastor in the Boise area.

At first I was more interested in the responses of the men than in listening, but soon found myself captivated by Mike's style and words. I realized immediately why the men in the room were paying such rapt attention to the speaker. It was obvious to me that Mike was 'empowered' spiritually.

Mike was preaching from I Timothy, pointing out to us how the Apostle Paul so carefully instructed his young protege, Timothy, about 'keeping the faith'. It was so readily apparent that Pastor Mike truly cared about the men before him. His eyes seemed to penetrate each man toward whom he looked. Then his easy smile would warm the entire room. The men in the room received and returned his affection. There was no doubt about the respect which Mike extended to each man. Though every man in the room was 'down on his luck', struggling financially and some fighting personal demons, Mike honored their dignity, not talking down to them.

Later, with Helen, I was honored to help serve a meal to these same men. I was blessed to hear Pastor Mike and be a part of the Covenant Church volunteers.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for contributing your time to our organization! We wouldn't be where we are without the grace of God and the support of this incredible community!

    ReplyDelete