Saturday, October 30, 2010

I Wish I Had Met Him ...

... Secretariat, that is. Helen and I saw the movie last evening. An emotional experience! I wiped away tears throughout the movie. Diane Lane who is the star of the Disney movie went to high school with our children at Savannah Christian Prep school in Savannah, Ga. This morning I visited www.secretariat.com and spent an hour reading about this magnificent animal. Within the official site -- -- you can also find a moving story about Secretariat's brother, Straight Flush, who was rescued from the slaughter house. Here are photos of Secretariat winning the Belmont and the Triple Crown by 31 lengths! Helen and I visited the Horse Farm in Lexington last spring where many of the horse great are buried. Here is Secretariat's grave:
GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

Thinking of whom I would have liked to have met, here is my initial list:
Martin Luther King, Jr. -- to say, "Thank you"
Babe Ruth -- I was ten when he died in '48
William Faulkner -- to sit on the Square in Oxford and talk about Mississippi
Ernest Hemingway -- to ask "Why did you end it like you did?"
John Wayne -- to throw down a drink with him
John Denver -- to ask, again, "Why...?"
Geronimo -- to say on behalf of my country, "I'm sorry"
Peter Marshall -- Scottish preacher, my first dorm room at Columbia Seminary was his dorm room, too -- I'd ask, "Who was your early mentor?"
Bobby Jones -- I'd ask, "What was the most difficult shot you ever had to hit?"


Others I did meet:
Ronald Reagan -- I met him in the late 80's when I was a delegate to the Georgia GOP convention in Atlanta
William 'Bill' Gardner -- former pastor of First Presbyterian of Atlanta, who was my early ministry mentor
Gayle Sayers -- Chicago Bears great who was best friends with Brian Piccolo and helped him thru his illness with cancer till his death. They made a movie about their friendshipo. He came to my church to speak and with whom Helen and I shared a meal

Oh, I could go on with a long list and will add others later.

Add yours in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment